Current:Home > FinanceUAW expands its auto strike once again, hitting a key plant for Ram pickup trucks -Capitatum
UAW expands its auto strike once again, hitting a key plant for Ram pickup trucks
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 09:31:53
United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain was adamant last week that the Big Three automakers can still offer more despite already putting record contracts on the table.
On Monday morning, he underscored that message, calling on 6,800 autoworkers at Stellantis' Sterling Heights Assembly Plant outside Detroit to walk out.
The plant, Stellantis' largest, makes the bestselling RAM 1500 trucks.
The expansion, announced by UAW in a statement, brings the total number of autoworkers on strike to over 40,000, with thousands more laid off in what the auto companies call a ripple effect of the strike.
The union said it took the step because "Stellantis lags behind both Ford and General Motors in addressing the demands of their UAW workforce."
"Stellantis has the worst proposal on the table regarding wage progression, temporary worker pay and conversion to full-time, cost-of-living adjustments (COLA), and more," the UAW said.
Record contracts — but not enough
Fain had already warned in a Facebook Live address on Friday that Stellantis' offer was lagging Ford and GM.
All three automakers have proposed wage raises of 23% over the life of the contract, a significant increase from their initial proposals.
Stellantis has also said it would increase its 401(k) retirement contributions to 9.5%, among other improvements, but has not agreed to a return of traditional pensions.
Stellantis had agreed to cut the number of years it takes permanent employees to reach the top wage from eight to four, but Ford has now reduced the time to three years, Fain said.
By laying out the Big 3's proposals side-by-side, Fain is making clear that he expects all three to get on the same page and will amp up the pressure on companies to get them to comply.
"We're going to hit when we need to hit and where we need to hit," he said on Friday.
Responding to Fain's Facebook live remarks, Stellantis released a statement saying talks continued to be productive.
"We have made progress on narrowing the gaps on significant issues that will bring immediate financial gains and job security for our employees. Our focus remains on resolving those issues as soon as possible and finding solutions that protect the Company and our employees," the statement read.
veryGood! (97988)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Khloe Kardashian's Son Tatum Hits Udderly Adorable Milestone at Halloween Party
- M&M's Halloween Rescue Squad might help save you from an empty candy bowl on Halloween
- Biden consults with world leaders, top advisers with Middle East on edge over Israel-Hamas war
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- New York Gov. Kathy Hochul says she will travel to Israel on a ‘solidarity mission’
- Clashes again erupt on the Lebanon-Israel border after an anti-tank missile is fired from Lebanon
- Aaron Rodgers made suggestions to Jets coaches during victory over Eagles, per report
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- PG&E’s plan to bury power lines and prevent wildfires faces opposition because of high rates
Ranking
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Republicans in Nevada are split in dueling contest over 2024 presidential nomination
- 2 people accused of helping Holyoke shooting suspect arrested as mother whose baby died recovers
- Rite Aid has filed for bankruptcy. What it means for the pharmacy chain and its customers
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Clashes again erupt on the Lebanon-Israel border after an anti-tank missile is fired from Lebanon
- Used clothing from the West is a big seller in East Africa. Uganda’s leader wants a ban
- Brussels shooter who killed 2 soccer fans in 'act of terrorism' shot dead by police
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Georgia’s cash hoard approaches $11 billion after a third year of big surpluses
North Dakota Gov. Burgum calls special session to fix budget bill struck down by court
Why Kelly Clarkson Feels a “Weight Has Lifted” After Moving Her Show to NYC
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Donald Trump is returning to his civil fraud trial, but star witness Michael Cohen won’t be there
1 dead, 2 injured by gunshots near a pro-democracy protest in Guatemala
Antonio Brown arrested in Florida over unpaid child support allegations